St Peter’s Church Shaldon
Rector: Revd. Geoffrey Richardson M.A.
The Rectory, Torquay Rd, Shaldon TQ14 0AX 01626 872396
Associate Priest: Revd. Antony Woodason
Contact: The Rectory, Stokeinteignhead 01626871013
Revd. Michael Pearson B Th.
Mira Ceti, Salty Lane, Shaldon 01626 872442
CHURCH SERVICES AT ST.PETER’S
Sundays; Eucharist 8am (said) Sung Eucharist 10.30: Sung Evensong 6pm
Wednesday; Eucharist 9.30
Eucharist on Saints days and Holy Days as posted on the Church notice Board
The Parish Church of Shaldon.
In the 1890’s- St Nicholas at Ringmore was the Parish Church-at this time there was a greater proportion of people living in Shaldon rather than Ringmore. despite Ringmore having been the centre of the Parish since before Domesday!
The Vicar felt this justified moving the Parish Church to Shaldon. He purchased the house and a part of the garden for £ 200.00 that had been originally Gowrie House.
An Architect, Edmund Sedding designed a church with Chancel, Nave, north & south Aisles, and a Lady Chapel on the south –east. It was designed to hold 450 people. A plan to add a tower was abandoned due to worries about the foundations.
Stone came from both the Ness and from Babbacombe, and some reclaimed from the demolition of Gowrie House, and the green coloured courses of stone in the external walls are Polyphant from Cornwall. Polyphant is used in several other places in the Church, for example in the columns supporting the arcade of arches.
The Screen is of particular note-beautiful tracery in Polyphant with marble, and wrought ironwork, the tracery echoes the Crown of Thorns throughout the church. The top of the Screen carries 5 statuary figures, St Peter, and on his right the Virgin Mary and St Nicholas, and on his left, St John and St Paul. Over St Peter is the Crucifix –a true’ Rood Screen’.
Marble is used in the main in the Chancel, to beautiful effect, and also the communion rail. The Pulpit is stunning with a black Marble octagonal base, with pale salmon pink, and blue grey colours of marble used in the pedestal. The Font is also a figure in white marble –this is a figure of St John the Baptist holding a Clamshell.
The Lady Chapel is decorated with Bath Stone and coloured marble- possibly the work in here and the rest of the Church is by Henry Wilson, who often worked with Edmund Sedding. His marble work is found throughout the country.
The roof with it’s barrel vaulting was inspired by the Vicar, who had seen the effect when in Italy, the slabs are all stone, and the original ones had to be replaced with thinner, less heavy ones.
Shaldon Church is famous for the outstanding organ –Carlo Curly and organists from Liverpool and other Cathedrals have given recitals here –it is a 3 manual instrument that was rebuilt in 1985, and is considered one of the best in Devon.
Following the laying of the Foundation stone in 1895 –the Church was finally consecrated and dedicated to St Peter in July 1902, becoming the Parish Church of the Parish of St Nicholas.