The Church of St NICHOLAS in Ringmore, Shaldon
CHURCH SERVICES AT ST NICHOLAS CHURCH
Sundays: Morning Prayer and sermon at 0930
Except on Ist Sunday in the month –Eucharist with Hymns
Shaldon Churches Organist: - John Stainer 01626 772696
Church wardens for Shaldon Churches: Malcolm Watson 01626 873492
Cdr P Edger 0.B.E. 01626 774268
The Domesday Book records Ringmore as a Devon Manor known then as ‘Ronmore’. Stephen de Haccombe, and his successors are know to have built three chapels in the area, two survive as chapels today, one at Haccombe, and the other is St Nicholas in Ringmore, Shaldon.
The third local chapel is only a ruin. Church Architects are of the opinion the St Nicholas is of 13th Century origins, a fact borne out by the East end Wall with it’s Lancet window-a fact accepted as proof.
Records of various events refer to this church, and the Register of Baptisms was started in 1616, prior to that, Baptisms had taken place at Haccombe. About this time, the Carew family –now Lords of the Manor of Haccombe, carried out repairs to St Nicholas, but the fabric of the building, and it’s architectural features were kept intact. Haccombe Church supplied the Clergy to the Church until 1621 when the first Clergy signed the Baptism register - Elezeus Coke.
Burial and Marriage registers were than started –and in 1671 Lord Clifford bought several local estates including the Manor of Ringmore with St Nicholas Parish. Bishop Keppel visited the church in 1768 and decided that care was needed to restore the Church.
By 1790 a large extension had been added, and a gallery built, along with various other improvements. Mention of a Church organ was made in 1827, but was then replaced with an early version of the Harmonium called a ‘Seraphine’. 1839 saw a gallery added to the North wall for the Sunday School, and a new roof with a domed skylight and wooden Bell tower added in1841. The original font had been removed, and replaced by the existing font-which is Saxon or early Norman.
Reverend Richard Marsh-Dunn cancelled plans for any more changes to St Nicholas, as he had decided to build a new church on the reclaimed land on Riverside in Shaldon.
This was consecrated and dedicated to St.Peter, and became the new Parish Church of St.Nicholas, South Devon in 1903. St Nicholas was subsequently renovated with funds generated by a generous benefactor, and was given the official title of Chapel of Ease.